March 16, 2021

In My Kitchen | Veggies

Even though I seldom cook at home, but I have this habit of keeping stock of veggies at home.  I like to have it in the fridge just-in-case I wanted to cook something up.

Here's what I normally have..

1. carrot - for fried rice, chicken soup, mixed veggies

2. tomato - for curry, beef stew, bolognese sauce, canned sardines, tomato egg

3. cabbage - can be stored longer

4. broccoli - also because it can be stored longer

5. sawi or any type of green leaves - for Maggi, veggie soup

6. lotus root

7. white radish or pumpkin

8. sweet potatoes

9. normal potatoes - for curry and stew

After practicing these for more than 10 years now, I find that there are flaws in my planning.  Now I think I don't need to have all these veggies with me all the time.  Reasons?

1. 80% of the veggie will sure go to waste, like I said, I seldom cook.

2. I can always go and buy and have the freshest veggie that I can get, more nutritious that way.  They are all within 1km away from my house.

3. End of last year, a new mini-market just open up in my area, it is on my way back from work, I can easily stop by to get the veggie supply if I am feeling like cooking for dinner on that day.

4. Lately I see that veggie price is going up, a normal packet of green leaves veggie used to cost RM 2-3 now is about RM 5-6.


Veggies at supermarket, not cheap you know.

So, after all this thinking, I am going to replan my shopping list. Less fresh veggie stock at home.  The same goes for my canned food, junk food, any other food stock at home.

No comments: