July 5, 2023

Gwangjang Market, Seoul

So we visited the Netflix-famous Gwangjang Market in Seoul in May 2023.

Gwangjang Market also spelled as Kwangjang Market is one of the oldest and largest markets in Seoul selling mostly traditional Korean food.

Since it was raining that morning, we decided to Uber our way there.  But we would have taken the train if we had known that the train station entrance is right in front of the market.  It is so convenient.

We reach there at about 10am, and we have our brunch at one of the restaurants there.  Not sure of the name of the restaurant, but there were photos of the Running Man team having their meal here, so it should be good.

Here’s what we had.  The best one for me is the beef tartare bibimbap.  It was surprisingly good.  My 1st time eating raw beef.

We tried the potato pancake, but it was too oily, and taste something between hashbrowns and cucur sayur. I think our crispy cucur sayur taste better.

I also wanted to try this rice wine, and it was so good, sweet, and had no bitter taste.  I prefer this to the Soju..  Makgeolli raw rice wine is a Korean alcoholic beverage. The milky, off-white, and lightly sparkling rice wine has a slight viscosity that tastes slightly sweet, tangy, bitter, and astringent.

I also tried the marinade raw crab, I had the spicy type.  This is I don’t really like, I had a stomachache after eating this, not sure because of the raw meat or because of the spiciness.

We spent about 2 hours there. All in all, it was a great experience, thou there are few other foods we wish to try, we were just too full.

The crowd

The raw marinated seafood

We had our brunch here.  See the photos of Running Man team hanging on their signage?

Raw beef bibimbap, surprisingly so good.

Potato pancakes.

Spicy marinated crab

Rice wine

Fruits shop outside of the market.



2 comments:

Twilight Man said...

When I was in Seoul and Busan, my Korean room mates in US hosted many dinners for me. I ate too much and drank the Makgeolli raw rice wine which was a mistake. The alcohol would ferment in my stomach and I had serious diarrhea on my last 3 days until I came back to KL. Total 5 days diarrhea. Scary drink. Wonder how the Koreans can tahan.
They have too much red hot chilly dishes marinated in all similar Kim chi pastes until I I got confused. It took me 2 trips to differentiate and appreciate them. We have to dine at good class restaurants where they would serve over 10 types of banchan for us to try.

I seldom took trains in Seoul as I was alone and felt safer to hail taxis.

Ezvina said...

I really enjoy the Makgeolli. It is almost similar to our Tuak, hint of sweetness.