The Astana is a majestic building with a romantic history.
This former place was built in 1870 by the second Rajah, Charles Brooke, as a bridal gift for the Ranee Margaret. Then known as Government House, it is actually three separate buildings fused into one. Each building is connected to the other by short and narrow passageways.
It has undergone substantial alterations since the days of the Brooke Raj. Today it is the official residence of the Yang di-Pertua Negeri, the Governor of Sarawak.
As it is an official residence, the Astana is not open to the public. Visitors are allowed the pleasure of strolling around the Astana's beautifully landscaped gardens, which are decorated with ethnic artefacts.