March 21, 2011

Boy electrocuted at playground

SHAH ALAM: An 11-year-old boy was electrocuted to death when he touched a lamppost at a playground in Taman Batu Tiga here on Saturday.

SK Seksyen 20 student Muhammad Naqiuddin Mohd Marzuki was running home after playing football on a wet field with several friends when he slipped and fell at 6.50pm.

As he was falling, one of his legs touched the lamppost and he was believed to have been electrocuted.

Naqiuddin's father, Mohd Marzuki Muda, 44, said he was resting at home when five of his son's friends came and informed him about the incident.

"I rushed there to see what had happened and saw my son lying face down. One of his legs looked like it was glued to the lamppost. He was not moving.

"I took a dry stick and moved his body away from the lamppost before sending him to a private hospital nearby. He was still alive then."


Marzuki said upon arrival at the hospital, doctors found no vital signs and tried to revive Naqiuddin using cardiopulmonary resuscitation for about an hour, but failed.

"The doctors told me that my eldest son's heart could have been affected by the electric shock."

The father of three said he was upset and confused over how the lamppost could conduct electricity when it supposed to be a safe facility for the public.

Marzuki said he would lodge a complaint with the Subang Jaya Municipal Council (MPSJ) over the incident.

Naqiuddin's friend, Mohd Salman Shahmi, 11, said the victim left the game in a hurry.

"He was running towards his home. One of us told him not to as the field was slippery. All of a sudden, he slipped and fell.

"We heard him screaming in pain for a while before he fell silent."

Subang Jaya police chief Assistant Commissioner Zainal Rashid Abu Bakar said police were investigating to determine the cause of the electrocution.

"At the moment, investigations are (also) being carried out by relevant authorities like Tenaga Nasional Bhd to find out the source of electricity.

"The victim's body was sent to University Malaya Medical Centre and a post-mortem confirmed that he had died of electrocution."

MPSJ council member Keshminder Singh said initial investigations revealed that the lamppost's electrical wires were intact.

"Our engineers found that there was nothing wrong with the lamppost.

"One of the possible causes may be a leakage in the underground cable.

"However, we are still investigating. MPSJ is getting to the bottom of this matter. We have cordoned off the area pending thorough checks."

Read more: Boy electrocuted at playground http://www.nst.com.my/articles/10boy/Article/#ixzz1HC0SOIiX

1 comment:

Rose said...

Always like that. have to wait till someone life taken, then they take their sweet times and do things. Lesson never learnt!